|This WikiProject is believed to be semi-active.|
Although activity is slower than it once was, anyone is welcome to participate in the project.
- This project is dedicated to creating, improving, and maintaining articles related to the subject of anthropology.
- The scope of this project is the field of Anthropology, with an emphasis on the field often referred to as cultural anthropology.
For best practices in creating and editing articles, see the Wikipedia:Manual of Style.
Overlap with other projects
Since anthropology is such a broad subject, there will probably need to be a lot of cooperation with other wikiprojects. Already existing wikiprojects that might overlap with this include (but are definitely not limited to):
- WikiProject Anatomy
- WikiProject Archaeology*
- WikiProject Culture*
- WikiProject Ethnic groups*
- WikiProject Evolutionary biology
- WikiProject History
- WikiProject Indigenous peoples of North America
- WikiProject Linguistics
- WikiProject Primates*
- WikiProject Psychology
- WikiProject Sociology
Note: An * denotes a project that might end up becoming under our parentage.
This is a new project, and several things need to be done now. Many of these things will remain important as the project develops. Among them are
- Recruiting new members and keeping the members we have
- Improving the articles within the scope of this project
- Creating articles which are important, but do not yet exist
- Actively maintaining the quality of articles which already exist, including making changes to them as required by circumstance
|Anthropology articles by quality and importance|
|WikiWork factors (?)||ω = 18,415||Ω = 4.78|
- 2012 phenomenon
- Belarusian Republican Youth Union
- Female genital mutilation
- Ketuanan Melayu
- Taiwanese aborigines
- Tamil people
Collaboration and review
- Current Collaboration of the month: Kinship
- Nominations for future Collaborations of the Month are currently being called.
- Proposal: Soviet Anthropology This is particularly interesting due to the role of Soviet anthropologists in nation building linked to Narkomnats, with the eventual demise of many prominent anthropologists in the purges.
- Another Proposal: Tribalism This is an undeveloped entry.
- Another Proposal: Hunter-gatherer This is a neglected article. It is currently of quite poor (C) quality.
Please feel free to list your new Anthropology-related articles here (newer articles at the top, please). Any new articles that have an interesting or unusual fact in them should be suggested for the Did you know? box the Main Page.
- Subneolithic - Period, culture or ethnic group which practiced hunting, gathering and fishing whilst incorporating elements of Neolithic culture such as pottery.
- INAPL - notable Argentine anthropological institution
- Carlos J. Gradin - Argentine archaeologist
- hui_pan-nationalism - ethnic group
- David J. Meltzer - American archaeologist
- David MacDougall - visual anthropologist, ethnographic filmmaker
- Digital dependencies and global mental health - exploring the cultural and anthropological perspective of the global mental health crisis
- Zoe Todd - Canadian anthropologist
- Engis 2 - first ever found Neanderthal fossil
- Sandra Morgen - Feminist Anthropologist
- Lambda Alpha - National collegiate honors society for anthropology in the US.
- The Savage Mind - early structural anthropology from Claude Lévi-Strauss
- We Have Never Been Modern - seminal work by Bruno Latour
- The Lele of the Kasai - field-report on the Lele people by Mary Douglas
- L'Homme - French journal
- C. W. M. Hart - ?Australian anthropologist
- Shakir Mustafa Salim - Iraqi anthropologist
- Lorna Marshall - American ethnographer of the !Kung people
- Julius Alfred Roth - stub on American sociologist of medicine
- James C. Faris - American anthropologist; a lot more could be added to this, I'm sure.
- Rules and Meanings - Penguin anthology compiled by Mary Douglas
- Luc de Heusch - Belgian anthropologist and film-maker (much more could be added)
- Risk and Blame - es of anthropologists (e.g. Jonathan Marks, Timothy Ingold) have raised questions about this emerging discipline. One contributor to the article, Leadwind, frequently bings up anthropologists Boas, Mead and Gould as proponents of the kind of pseudoscience Evolutionary Psychology replaces. There are many threads on the talk page in which contributors discuss topics of anthropological research (from human evolution to gender differences or a genetic propensity to become a warrior) to which I imagine many members of this project could constructively contribute.
- Taboo food and drink (see )
Did you know
Redirects for discussion
Articles to be merged
- 05 Feb 2022 – Bullshit job is proposed for merging to Bullshit Jobs by Balag12 (t · c); see discussion
- 01 Nov 2021 – Bodo cranium is proposed for merging to Homo bodoensis by Hemiauchenia (t · c); see discussion
Articles to be split
- 04 Feb 2022 – Internet culture is proposed for splitting by Duckmather (t · c); see discussion
- 29 Sep 2020 – Origin of the Romanians is proposed for splitting by Super Dromaeosaurus (t · c); see discussion
Articles for creation
- 20 Jun 2022 – Draft:Mexican Xenophobia against Central Americans has been submitted for AfC by Jaseycano1 (t · c)
- 07 Jun 2022 – Draft:Bryan Cranstone has been submitted for AfC by Plucknett (t · c)
- 03 Jun 2022 – Draft:Schuyler Jones has been submitted for AfC by Plucknett (t · c)
- 02 Jun 2022 – Draft:Christopher Alan Ross Morton has been submitted for AfC by Plucknett (t · c)
- 29 May 2022 – Draft:Thomas L Carr has been submitted for AfC by Bluestar399 (t · c)
- 28 May 2022 – Draft:William Titley has been submitted for AfC by DoctaArt (t · c)
- 06 May 2022 – Draft:Socio-onomastics has been submitted for AfC by Faust.TSFL (t · c)
- 24 Apr 2022 – Draft:Refugee settlements in Greece has been submitted for AfC by Sotirisolm (t · c)
- 24 Apr 2022 – Draft:Validated Entheses-based Reconstruction of Activity has been submitted for AfC by Enora Le Quéré (t · c)
- 26 Feb 2022 – Draft:Robert L. Schuyler has been submitted for AfC by DDiS80 (t · c)
- (1 more...)
The Wikipedia entry on Tribalism needs some serious work. Can someone look into this? There are no citations or sources within the entry. I find this topic to be a significant subject for the Anthropology WikiProject. Excuse me if my comment is in the wrong section, but I wanted to inform your group.
- Talkpage banner, for all articles which fall within the scope of this project:
- Main Topic template - sidebar :
Please feel free to add your name to our project's Participants page.
A list of relevant magazines and journals can be found at Wikipedia:WikiProject Anthropology/Periodicals.