Summer Cup (Scotland)
|Number of teams||16 (1940–44, 1963–65)|
|Last champions||Motherwell (2nd title)|
|Most successful club(s)||Hibernian (2 titles)|
Motherwell (2 titles)
The Summer Cup was a Scottish football competition open to teams in the top division, first of the wartime Southern League from 1940 to 1945 and then of the Scottish League from 1963 to 1965.
When the competition was first introduced in 1940 it was organised by the Southern League and was one of two wartime cup competitions run by the League, along with the Southern League Cup. The competition ran from May to June, when the league season had already finished. It was discontinued after 1945.
Just as the one-off Scottish War Emergency Cup of 1940 was a predecessor of sorts to the wartime Summer Cup, the 1946 Victory Cup could be seen as its successor due to the similar format used, although the trophy actually used for the Victory Cup was that of the Southern League Cup, which did have a 1946 edition completed a few weeks earlier.
The Summer Cup was reintroduced in 1963 as a national cup competition for Scottish Football League Division One clubs because running costs for clubs in the top division were getting more expensive. Both Celtic and Rangers declined to take part in either season the competition was played.
The trophy currently resides in the boardroom at Easter Road, the home of Hibernian. Hibs chairman Harry Swan had helped to establish the competition and, when Hibernian won the first final, team manager Willie McCartney suggested that the trophy should be presented to him; Swan's family subsequently gifted the trophy to Hibernian in perpetuity.
List of Finals
|1940–41||Hibernian||3–2||Rangers||37,200||B Baxter, W Finnigan (2);T Gillick, W McIntosh||Hampden Park, Glasgow|||
|1942–43||St Mirren||1–0||Rangers||45,000||A Linwood|||
|1944–45||Partick Thistle||2–0||Hibernian||20,000||J Johnson (2)|||
Scottish Division One
|Season||Home Team||Score||Away Team||Attendance||Scorers||Venue||Ref|
|1963–64||Aberdeen||3–2||Hibernian||20,000||E Winchester, A Kerr (2);
J Scott (2)
|Hibernian||2–1 (aet)||Aberdeen||28,000||S Vincent, E Stevenson;
|Easter Road, Edinburgh|
|Hibernian and Aberdeen tied 4–4 on aggregate.|
W Hamilton, J Scott, P Cormack
|Hibernian beat Aberdeen in play-off match|
|1964–65||Motherwell||3–1||Dundee United||12,000||P Delaney (2), J McBride;
|Fir Park, Motherwel|||
|Dundee United||1–0||Motherwell||18,371||M Berg||Tannadice, Dundee|
|Motherwell beat Dundee United 3–2 on aggregate.|
Performance by club
|Club||Wins||Years won||Runners-up||Years runner-up|
|Hibernian||2||1940–41, 1963–64||2||1941–42, 1944–45|
- ^ Kevin Stirling (27 January 2014). "League Cup History 1946". Aberdeen F.C. Retrieved 1 October 2018.
- ^ a b c The Summer Cup (1940–41 – Hibernian) Hibs-Historical-Trust. 11 December 2012. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- ^ "Summer Cup undermined by typhoid, tours and indifferences". The Scotsman. Johnston Publishing. 3 May 2014. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- ^ a b c d e f g Summer Cup Scottish Football Historical Archive, retrieved 15 November 2020
- ^ 3-2 Vs Rangers in Summer Cup (12/07/1941), FitbaStats Hibernian
- ^ 2-3 Vs Hibernian in Summer Cup (12/07/1941), FitbaStats Rangers
- ^ 1940–41 Summer Cup Final, London Hearts Supporters Club. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- ^ 0-0 Vs Hibernian in Summer Cup (04/07/1942), FitbaStats Rangers
- ^ 1941–42 Summer Cup Final London Hearts Supporters Club. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- ^ St Mirren FC – season 1942–43 St Mirren Info. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- ^ 0-1 Vs St Mirren in Summer Cup (03/07/1943), FitbaStats Rangers
- ^ 1942–43 Summer Cup Final London Hearts Supporters Club. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- ^ a b History | Through The Years, Motherwell FC, retrieved 15 November 2020
- ^ 1943–44 Summer Cup Final London Hearts Supporters Club. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- ^ 1944–45 Summer Cup Final London Hearts Supporters Club. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- ^ Thistle Get the Cup, But Not All the Honour, Evening Times, 30 June 1945 (via Partick Thistle History Archive)
- ^ Scottish League FAQS scottishleague.net. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- ^ Aberdeen Lead Inadequate, The Glasgow Herald, 3 August 1964
- ^ Summer Cup Final Drawn, The Glasgow Herald, 6 August 1964
- ^ 1965 Summer Cup, MotherWELLnet
- ^ Dundee Utd. Not Yet Out of Summer Cup, The Glasgow Herald, 31 May 1965
- ^ Motherwell 3 Dundee Utd 1, Summer Cup (Final 1st Leg), Arab Archive
- ^ Motherwell Beaten But Win Cup, The Glasgow Herald, June 3 1965
- ^ Dundee Utd 1 Motherwell 0: Summer Cup (Final 2nd Leg)), Arab Archive
- Defunct football cup competitions in Scotland
- Scottish Football League
- Wartime football in Scotland
- Recurring sporting events established in 1940
- Recurring sporting events disestablished in 1945
- Recurring sporting events established in 1963
- Recurring sporting events disestablished in 1965
- 1940 establishments in Scotland
- 1945 disestablishments in Scotland
- 1963 establishments in Scotland
- 1965 disestablishments in Scotland