Rulah, Jungle Goddess
|Rulah, Jungle Goddess|
|Publisher||Fox Feature Syndicate|
|First appearance||Zoot Comics #7 (June 1947)|
|Created by||Matt Baker (artist)|
|Alter ego||(originally) Jane Dodge|
(after Rulah, Jungle Goddess" #20) Joan Grayson
|Abilities||Normal human strength|
Rulah, Jungle Goddess is a fictional character, a jungle girl, in comic books published by Fox Feature Syndicate. She first appeared in Zoot Comics #7 (June 1947). Matt Baker designed her, before Jack Kamen and Graham Ingels helped develop her image.
Rulah's real name was given variously as either Jane Dodge or Joan Grayson. In the latter version, she is a young aviator on a solo flight over Africa when her plane loses control and crashes. She replaces her clothes (which were destroyed in the crash) with a bikini made from the skin of a dead giraffe. Soon afterwards, she saves a local tribe from an evil woman, and is accepted as its queen, who remains in the jungle as its protector. She is often accompanied by her pet panther, Saber. Her ex-boyfriend, Tim Pointer, is introduced in issue #20.
According to Jess Nevins' Encyclopedia of Golden Age Superheroes, "She tackles ordinary enemies, like wild animals, wicked natives, and wicked whites, and extraordinary enemies, like the Harpies from Hades, the Panther Queen, the Thirsty Tyrant of Tii, the Jungle Napoleon, the Ice Vikings of Valhalla, and the Ape Women of Antilla."
Rulah appeared in each issue of Zoot Comics after issue #7. By issue #17, Zoot was retitled Rulah, Jungle Goddess. She also appeared in All Top Comics, alongside Dagar, the Desert Hawk, and the Blue Beetle. Her last appearance in her own title was issue #27 (June 1949), after which it became a romance comic renamed I Loved. All Top was canceled in July 1949.
After the demise of Fox Feature Syndicate, some of Rulah's adventures were reprinted without permission by Star Comics (no relation to the Marvel Comics imprint), and I. W. Publications, under the Super Comics and Skywald Comics lines.
- Markstein, Don. "Rulah, Jungle Goddess". Don Markstein's Toonopedia. Retrieved 19 March 2020.
- Booker, M. Keith, ed. (2010). Encyclopedia of Comic Books and Graphic Novels. Greenwood. pp. 331-332. ISBN 978-0-313-35746-6. Retrieved 19 March 2020.
- Zoot #7 (June 1947)
- Rulah, Jungle Goddess #20 (Nov 1948)
- Nevins, Jess (2013). Encyclopedia of Golden Age Superheroes. High Rock Press. p. 228. ISBN 978-1-61318-023-5.
- "Rulah, Jungle Goddess (Fox Feature Syndicate)".
- Frankenhoff, Brent (2011). Comics Buyer's Guide Presents: 100 Sexiest Women in Comics. Krause Publications. p. 51. ISBN 978-1-4402-2988-6.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rulah, Jungle Goddess.|
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|