This article has multiple issues. Please help to improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
Madhumita Raut is an Indian classical dancer of Odissi (Orissi). She is the daughter of Mamta Khuntia and Mayadhar Raut, who revived Odissi (Indian classical dance) in the 1950s with Shastra-based knowledge. She lives in Delhi, manages and teaches at the Jayantika Association's Mayadhar Raut School of Odissi Dance.
Early life and education
Brought up in Delhi in an atmosphere of dance and music under her father's tutelage, Madhumita Raut received her academic qualifications at the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan's School and Indraprastha College in Delhi. She holds a master's degree in English literature from Delhi University and a diploma in performing arts.
Madhumita Raut is her father's torch bearer of Mayadhar Raut Gharana of Odissi dance. Her works include compositions on Hungarian poetry, choreographic compositions on poems of Goethe, and fusion dances with Balinese dancer Dia Tantri in the Netherlands. She has effectively used the medium of dance for social causes. She has performed for the Indian Cancer Society, Delhi, WWF(World Wildlife Fund - India), CAPF(Campaign Against Pre-Birth Elimination of Females), The Art of Living and for upliftment of the 'have-nots'.
Netherlands Channel I has made a documentary film on her. Stuttgart (Germany) and the Hungarian televisions have showcased Raut's dance in their documentary films on India. Raut has also done a lead role in a film produced by the Dutch television.
Madhumita Raut has danced in major dance festivals in India and in Ireland, England, Scotland, the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Spain, Morocco, France, Portugal, Japan, U.S.A. etc. She also teaches Odissi in USA, the Netherlands, Japan and Germany.
She received a number of awards, namely, Orissa State Ghungur Samman, Utkal Kanya Award, Mahila Shakti Samman, Bharat Nirman Award, Odisha Living Legend Award 2011.
Madhumita Raut wrote "Odissi: What, Why and How: Evolution, Revival and Technique", published by B.R. Rhythms, Delhi in 2007.
Raut has received the following awards:
- Orissa State Ghungur Samman 2010
- Utkal Kanya award 2010
- Mahila Shakti Samman 2010
- Bharat Nirman Award 1997
- Odisha Living Legend Award 2011
- "DANCE diaries". The Hindu. 9 October 2014.
- "Grand welcome awaits fuchchas". Times of India. 8 July 2007.
- "Odissi Workshop in Germany". Orissa Diary. 16 May 2011. Archived from the original on 3 April 2012. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- Odissi: What, Why and How: Evolution, Revival & Technique by Madhumita Raut, Published B.R.Rhythms, Delhi,2007.ISBN 81-88827-10-X.
- "Annual awards of 'Ghungur' cultural organisation presented". The Hindu. 14 April 2011. Archived from the original on 19 February 2011.
- "Bharat Nirman Awards".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 7 March 2013. Retrieved 24 February 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Odissi: What, Why and How : Evolution, Revival & Technique by Madhumita Raut, Published B.R.Rhythms, Delhi, 2007. ISBN 81-88827-10-X.
-  30th Annual awards of ‘Ghungur', 14 February 2011.
-  Reviving Odissi with a focus on the classical The Hindu, 28 December 2010.
-  Delectable depiction of Navararas by N K MUDGAL.
-  4th Guru Shishya Parampara Dance Festival Delhi, 15 December 2008.
- [permanent dead link] Christian MySpace: What Why N How - Madhumita Raut Learn About Odissi Dance Form
-  Odissi Workshop in Germany, Monday, 16 May 2011.
-  Dance Recitals in Malaysia, 4 and 5 November 2011
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Madhumita Raut.|