ISO/IEC/IEEE 42010 Systems and software engineering — Architecture description is an international standard for architecture descriptions of systems and software.
ISO/IEC/IEEE 42010:2011 defines requirements on the description of system, software and enterprise architectures. It aims to standardise the practice of architecture description by defining standard terms, presenting a conceptual foundation for expressing, communicating and reviewing architectures and specifying requirements that apply to architecture descriptions, architecture frameworks and architecture description languages.
Following its predecessor, IEEE 1471, the standard makes a strict distinction between architectures and architecture descriptions.
The description of ISO/IEC/IEEE 42010 in this article is based upon the standard published in 2011.
History of ISO/IEC/IEEE 42010
The origin of the standard was the fast track international standardization of IEEE 1471:2000. The standard was originally balloted as ISO/IEC DIS 25961. It was subsequently adopted and published as ISO/IEC 42010:2007 which was identical with IEEE 1471:2000.
In 2006, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC7 WG 42 and IEEE Computer Society launched a coordinated revision of this standard to address: harmonization with ISO/IEC 12207 and ISO/IEC 15288; alignment with other ISO/IEC architecture standards (e.g. ISO/IEC 10746 Reference Model Open Distributed Processing); the specification of architecture frameworks and architecture description languages; architecture decision capture; and correspondences for model and view consistency.
In July 2011, the Final Draft International Standard was balloted and approved (21-0) by ISO member bodies. The corresponding IEEE version, P42010/D9, was approved as a revised standard by the IEEE-SA Standards Board on 31 October 2011. ISO/IEC/IEEE 42010:2011 was published by ISO on 24 November 2011.
- ^ a b "ISO/IEC/IEEE 42010:2011 - Systems and software engineering - Architecture description". International Organization for Standardization. 2011-11-24. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- ^ David Emery and Rich Hilliard (2008-02-21). "Updating IEEE 1471: Architecture Frameworks and Other Topics". Seventh Working IEEE/IFIP Conference on Software Architecture (WICSA 2008). Ieeexplore.ieee.org. pp. 303–306. doi:10.1109/WICSA.2008.32. ISBN 978-0-7695-3092-5. S2CID 16132142.
- 42010-2011 - ISO/IEC/IEEE Systems and software engineering — Architecture description. 2011. doi:10.1109/IEEESTD.2011.6129467. ISBN 978-0-7381-7142-5.
- ISO/IEC/IEEE 42010 website
- A documentation framework for architecture decisions based on 42010
- Views and Beyond: The SEI Approach to Architecture Documentation
- MEGAF is an infrastructure for realizing architecture frameworks that conform to the definition of architecture framework provided in the ISO/IEC/IEEE 42010 standard.