This article relies excessively on references to primary sources. (February 2018)
ISO/IEC 14443 Identification cards -- Contactless integrated circuit cards -- Proximity cards is an international standard that defines proximity cards used for identification, and the transmission protocols for communicating with it.
The standard is developed by ISO/IEC JTC 1 (Joint Technical Committee 1) / SC 17 (Subcommittee 17) / WG 8 (Working Group 8).
- ISO/IEC 14443-1:2018 Part 1: Physical characteristics
- ISO/IEC 14443-2:2016 Part 2: Radio frequency power and signal interface
- ISO/IEC 14443-3:2018 Part 3: Initialization and anticollision
- ISO/IEC 14443-4:2018 Part 4: Transmission protocol
Cards may be Type A and Type B, both of which communicate via radio at 13.56 MHz (RFID HF). The main differences between these types concern modulation methods, coding schemes (Part 2) and protocol initialization procedures (Part 3). Both Type A and Type B cards use the same transmission protocol (described in Part 4). The transmission protocol specifies data block exchange and related mechanisms:
- data block chaining
- waiting time extension
ISO/IEC 14443 uses following terms for components:
- PCD: proximity coupling device (the card reader)
- PICC: proximity integrated circuit card
Part 1 of the standard specifies that the card shall be compliant with ISO/IEC 7810 or ISO/IEC 15457-1, or "an object of any other dimension".
- Ventra cards used in bus and trains
- MIFARE cards (partial or full implementation, depending on product)
- Biometric passports
- EMV payment cards (PayPass, Visa payWave, ExpressPay)
- National identity cards in the European Economic Area
- Near Field Communication is based on in part, and is compatible with, ISO/IEC 14443
- Calypso, open security standard for transit fare collection systems
- CIPURSE, open security standard for transit fare collection systems
- ISO/IEC 7816, "with contact" smart card standard
- International Civil Aviation Organization § Standards
- List of ISO standards
- ^ a b c "ISO/IEC 14443-1:2018". ISO. Retrieved 2018-12-12.
- ^ a b "ISO/IEC 14443-2:2016". ISO. Retrieved 2018-12-12.
- ^ a b "ISO/IEC 14443-3:2018". ISO. Retrieved 2018-12-12.
- ^ a b "ISO/IEC 14443-4:2018". ISO. Retrieved 2018-12-12.