Horacio's World is a Brazilian comic strip, part of the Monica's Gang comic strips. The main character is Horácio, a baby Tyrannosaurus rex, created in 1961. He debuted as one of the supporting characters of Pitheco's comics in The Cavern Clan, but their solo stories started in 1963. Other minor characters appear occasionally, but Horacio's strips mostly consist of monologues and self-reflections (some of them are even entirely pantomimic), thus making him Mauricios's alter-ego. Also, all his stories are written by Mauricio himself.
Horácio – Of this group of characters, Horácio (or Horacio in English) is the main one. He is the only character whose comic strips are still drawn and written exclusively by Mauricio, who sees him as his alter ego. Mauricio describes him as having an always optimistic view, as someone who likes to help his friends and, "sometimes, even the enemies. And he's got this calm, confident attitude." He is kind, friendly and concerned to help people around him. He has several friends. Horacio is also a carnivore, but insists on having a vegetarian diet. Horacio has a golden heart, is cheerful, wise, and eats only "alfacinhas" (small lettuce leaves) and is one of Mauricio de Sousa's most philosophical characters. He is very disputed by the dinosaurs Simone and Lucinda, who are both in love with him. Although he doesn't have an interest in either of them, he keeps them as good friends. His biggest dream is to meet his mother.
In his first stories, Horácio was described as a dinosaur who lived among the humans of The Cavern Clan. He was banned from the village for eating all their food and started to search for his mother, who abandoned him while he was in his egg. In most of his comic strips, he is reflecting about existence, or similar subjects. He does it mostly alone, but he also enjoys speaking to his few friends. Unlike common Tyrannosaurus stereotypes, he is very kind and friendly. He is also a vegetarian, having his very own lettuce crop near his cave. He is also constantly running away from Lucinda.
- Supporting characters
- Lucinda – Lucinda is a natural dreamer and is constantly trying to date Horacio, who is definitely not interested in any relationship at the moment. She usually ends up angry at Horácio because of his flees, but she won't stop her attempts to date him.
- Theco (Tecodonte) – Horacio best friend, a baby thecodont.
- Mack Mammoth (Antão) – A baby mammoth.
- Terry Pterodactyl (Alfredo) – Terry is a Pterodactyl who looked after Horácio when he was a baby, but now, he is treated more like a friend than like a father. Horacio sometimes sits on his back to fly.
- Simone – Simone is Lucinda's best friend, but at the same time her main rival, because she is also in love with Horacio. However, Lucinda's attempts to date Horacio are much more frequent than Simone's.
- Brontson (Brontossauro, often abbreviated to Bronto) – Brontson is a big and strong Brontosaurus.
- "Horácio | Guia dos Quadrinhos".
- "Horácio at Monica's Gang official website". Archived from the original on 2010-01-07. Retrieved 2010-03-27.
- "Turma do Mauricio". Superinteressante (in Portuguese). Editora Abril. February 2004. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- "'O Horácio é meu alter ego', revela Mauricio de Sousa em seus 80 anos". Folha de S.Paulo (in Portuguese). São Paulo: Grupo Folha. 27 October 2015. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- de Sousa, Mauricio (October 1972). "Era Uma Vez...O Horacio". Mônica 30 (in Portuguese) (2nd ed.). São Paulo: Panini Comics. pp. 17–28.
- "Horácio busca sua mãe nas primeiras imagens da nova HQ". Omelete (in Brazilian Portuguese). 2018-07-06.