Herbert Simon (real estate)
|Born||October 23, 1934|
New York City, U.S.
|Alma mater||City College of New York (B.B.A) |
|Occupation||Chairman emeritus of the Simon Property Group|
|Known for||Real Estate Development|
Indiana Pacers owner
|Spouse(s)||Sheila Simon (divorced)|
Diane Meyer (divorced)
Porntip Bui Nakhirunkanok
--two with first wife
--three with Meyer
--two with Nakhirunkanok
--three adopted children
|Family||Melvin Simon (brother)|
Herbert "Herb" Simon (born October 23, 1934) is an American real estate developer. He resides in Indianapolis, Indiana. He was educated at the City College of New York. He is the owner of the Indiana Pacers, and chairman emeritus of the shopping mall developer Simon Property Group. In 2010, he purchased Kirkus Reviews.
Forbes estimated his net worth to be around US$3.2 billion in mid-2018.
Early life and education
Simon was born to a Jewish family in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and grew up in the Bronx, the son of Max and Mae Simon. His father was a tailor who had emigrated from Central Europe. His older brother is the late Melvin Simon. His oldest brother is the late Fred Simon, who was the longtime leasing director at Simon Property Group. Herbert Simon graduated from The City College of New York with a B.B.A. in Business.
Simon has been married three times. His first wife was Sheila Simon. Simon has two children from his first marriage including Stephen Howard Simon, founder of Simon Equity LLC who is married to artist Catherine Garvey Simon.
In 1981, Simon married Diane Meyer, political staffer for Senator Birch Bayh of Indiana. She was previously married to N. Stuart Grauel, the then Deputy Secretary of State of Indiana. They divorced in 2000. They have three children:
- Sarah Elisabeth Meyer Simon is an investor who lives in New York City;
- Rachel Mariam Meyer Simon Stuart is an artist and philanthropist living in Indianapolis with her husband Hale Stuart and daughter Zara; and
- Asher Benjamin Meyer Simon is an artist in Los Angeles.
In 2002, Simon married Porntip Bui Nakhirunkanok (born February 7, 1969, Bangkok, Thailand), Miss Universe 1988. They have two biological children and have also adopted the three children of Porntip Bui Simon's sister who is deceased.
In 1983, Simon and his brother, Mel (1927–2009), purchased the NBA's Indiana Pacers from Sam Nassi and Frank Mariani. He is also the owner of the WNBA's Indiana Fever, and formerly owned the USL's now defunct Reno 1868 FC.
- Indianapolis Star: "Mel and Herb Simon - mall developers, owners of the Indiana Pacers" Archived 2007-04-03 at the Wayback Machine June 2004
- "Simon Youth Foundation Elects Lena Barkley, Dr. Leslie Fatum, Jeff Kucer to Board of Directors: Herbert Simon, David Simon, the late Melvin Simon named Honorary Board Member" Archived 2015-03-14 at the Wayback Machine, press release, Simon Youth Foundation, February 25, 2014
- Swiatek, Jeff. "Herb Simon, in literary stab, buys Kirkus Reviews". Retrieved 11 February 2010.
- "Herbert Simon". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-07-30.
- Louisville Insider: "The Simons versus the Runyons explains how Indianapolis became the city Louisville should have been" By Terry Boyd Archived 2013-01-26 at archive.today February 6, 2012
- Diane Meyer Simon website retrieved March 17, 2013
- Businessweek: "Executive Profile - Stephen H. Simon" retrieved April 28, 2014
- Camel Arts and Design And Jennifer Simon, a philanthropist, living in Indianapolis with her daughter Kennedy. Archived 2014-04-29 at the Wayback Machine retrieved April 28, 2014
- Angel Wings Foundation retrieved March 18, 2013
- Bui Simon website retrieved March 18, 2013
- "Pacers reach deal to keep team in Indianapolis". ESPN.com. 2019-04-12. Retrieved 2020-07-29.
- "How the Pacers Flipped Bad Luck To Good Fortune in the 1980s". Indiana Pacers. Retrieved 2020-07-29.
- LoRé, Michael. "Why Former Soccer Stars Like Landon Donovan And Tim Howard Are Investing In The USL". Forbes. Retrieved 2020-07-29.