|No. of issues||1|
|Main character(s)||God, Jesus Christ|
God Nose is a 42-page American comic book produced in 1964 by Jack "Jaxon" Jackson and is considered one of the first underground comix. God Nose centers on philosophical discussions between God and the "fools he rules."
God Nose portrays God as an old man with a white beard and a crown, sitting on a golden throne in Heaven. He and Jesus discuss modern life, including such controversial topics as birth control and racism. At one point, Jesus returns to Earth to be a folk singer and to try out surfing. God also visits Earth, at one point materializing into the bedroom of a couple as they are about to make love.
Jaxon's God Nose strip first appeared in the Florida college fanzine Charlatan, where it was published from 1963 to at least 1966.
In 1964, Jaxon collected a number of the previous strips, and printed 1,000 copies on a Xerox machine at the Texas State Capital print shop after hours. The first printing of God Nose is 8-1/2" x 11" in size and 42 pages long.
Rip Off Press, an underground publisher co-founded by Jaxon, did a second printing in 1969, with a revised cover lacking a cover price and with a pink border with red central color. The third printing, also by Rip Off Press, has a blue border with green central color and a 50c price below the basketball hoop. Rip Off Press did a fourth and final printing in 1971; it has a red border with yellow central color and a 50c cover price. The second-fourth printings are standard comic book size, 44 pages long.
The entirety of God Nose was also reprinted as Underground Classics (Rip Off Press, 1985 series) #6 (1988).
- SXSW Film - Letting the Freak Brothers Flag Fly: Gilbert Shelton on his iconic comic's long, strange trip to the screen - Screens - The Austin Chronicle
- Esther's Follies: After 30 years, Awn is off - Arts - The Austin Chronicle
- The Comics (Artist) Panel: Five Austinites on the state of the sequential art, from comics to comix to manga and beyond - Arts - The Austin Chronicle
- Booke, Keith M. 2010, Encyclopedia of Comic Books and Graphic Novels, ABC-CLIO, LLC, Santa Barbara, CA
- TEDxCMU - Zach Weiner - The Fall and Rise of the American Comic Strip - YouTube
- God Nose #1 (Jack Jackson, 1964) Condition: VF Silver Age (1956-1969)Alternative/Underground
- "Comic creator: Jack Jackson (Jaxon)," Lambiek Comiclopedia. Accessed Sept. 20, 2010.
- Fox, M. Steven. "God Nose," ComixJoint. Accessed Dec. 5, 2016.