English Mountain is a mountain located in the western foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains region of East Tennessee. Rising to a peak of 3,629 feet, it is known for offering scenic fall colors within a convenient drive from Knoxville.
A few rugged mountain roads provide access to the summit. Alpine Drive provides the main access, providing service to several small communities along with several resort cabins in the area available for tourists. It continues across the gap to the Wilhite area, forming the only complete pass over the mountain to the Jones Cove and Camp Hollow areas at the southeastern foot of the mountain.
Forbidden Caverns is a cave attraction on the northwestern face of the mountain.
Source of water
The mountain is a significant source of drinking water for nearby communities. The English Mountain Spring releases more than 2 million gallons of water each day, and is the source for several premium bottled water distributors. Since 1997, it has been the source for the English Mountain Spring Water Company of Dandridge, Tennessee, (a supplier of Cracker Barrel restaurants as well to the Visitor Centers within Great Smoky Mountains National Park).
April 2016 wildfire
- Chilhowee Mountain, also on the western edges of the Great Smoky Mountains
- Foothills Parkway, a scenic byway in the region
- 2016 Great Smoky Mountains wildfires
- "English Mountain - Peakbagger.com".
- "Status: 403 Forbidden".
- "Tennessee Traveler: English Mountain Fall Tour".
- http://www.nps.gov/Nr/feature/places/15000832.htm[bare URL]
- "Sevier County utility: Brown tap water in English Mountain safe to drink".
- "About English Mountain Spring Water | English Mountain Spring Water".
- "Tennessee's Luxury Bottled Water – Bling H2O".
- "Pick Tennessee Products - PickTNProducts.org".
- "English Mountain fire being investigated as possible arson".
- English Mountain Spring Water Company
- BlingH2o, English Mountain Spring water distributor
- An informal history of English Mountain, by Dr. John Rehder