This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2018)
|Notable credit||The Beat|
Heidi MacDonald (born November 15) is a writer and editor in the field of comic books based in New York City. She runs the comics industry news blog The Beat.
MacDonald is a former editor for DC Comics' Vertigo imprint and Disney Adventures, and also edited the graphic novel The Hills Have Eyes: The Beginning from Fox Atomic Comics that is a prequel to the 2006 film.
She created her long-running blog The Beat: The News Blog of Comics Culture (also known as Comics Beat) at Comicon.com in June 2004, before moving it to Publishers Weekly in 2006, and to an independent site in 2010. In 2016, she announced she was moving The Beat to the webcomics site Hiveworks. She wrote, "The era of the 'bedroom blogger' is long gone, replaced by corporate entities trying to outdo each other with clickbait headlines and subsisting on popup ads that get more bewildering every day."
MacDonald also was an editor and writer at Publishers Weekly. In January 2016, MacDonald announced she was laid off from her position at Publishers Weekly, although she would continue to write for the magazine on a freelance basis.
In 2017, comics publisher Lion Forge acquired The Beat. In January 2020, it was announced that after Lion Forge was acquired by Polarity, the company cut ties with MacDonald. In a press release, MacDonald indicated she would continue the blog independently.
- ^ Comics Buyer's Guide #1636 (December 2007). p. 135.
- ^ McDonald, Heidi (February 16, 2010). "Exclusive: The Beat to leave Publishers Weekly". The Beat. Retrieved April 22, 2015.
- ^ a b MacDonald, Heidi (January 13, 2016). "Ch-ch-ch-changes for The Beat". The Beat. Retrieved January 4, 2021.
- ^ Reid, Calvin (January 29, 2010). "Comics Blog 'The Beat' to Leave 'Publishers Weekly'". Publishers Weekly. Archived from the original on April 5, 2010. Retrieved February 22, 2010.
- ^ Reid, Calvin (February 16, 2010). "MacDonald Relaunches Comics News Blog, The Beat". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved February 22, 2010.
- ^ Johnston, Rich (January 24, 2020). "Lion Forge Breaks With The Beat". Bleeding Cool. Retrieved January 4, 2021.
- ^ Calvin, Reid (January 27, 2020). "MacDonald Regains Ownership of Comics News Blog 'The Beat'". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved January 4, 2021.
- The Beat
- Heidi MacDonald at the Comic Book DB (archived from the original)
- Heidi MacDonald on Twitter
- Heidi MacDonald at IMDb