CERAWeek is an annual energy conference organized by the information and insights company IHS Markit in Houston, Texas. The conference provides a platform for discussion on a range of energy-related topics; CERAWeek 2019 featured sessions on the world economic outlook, geopolitics, energy policy and regulation, climate change and technological innovation, among other topics. The conference features prominent speakers from energy, policy, technology, and financial industries, and is chaired by Pulitzer Prize winner Daniel Yergin, vice-chairman, IHS Markit and Jamey Rosenfield, vice chair, CERAWeek, senior vice president, IHS Markit. Both are co-founders of Cambridge Energy Research Associates.
The 39th annual CERAWeek conference, scheduled for March 9 to 13, 2020, in Houston, Texas, was canceled.
Speakers and Attendees
CERAWeek attracts executives, government officials and thought leaders from the energy, policy, technology, and financial industries to Houston each year. In 2019, there were over 5,500 delegates from over 1,000 organizations representing 85 countries. These include over 650 CEOs and Chairmen, over 1,400 C-Suite executives and over 90 ministers and government representatives. Participants encompass all regions and industry segments: oil, natural gas, electric power, coal, nuclear and renewables; as well as technology, finance, mobility and more.
Recent Speakers at CERAWeek have included:
- President Bill Clinton
- President George W. Bush
- Prime Minister of Canada Justin Trudeau
- Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi
- Henry Kissinger, former US Secretary of State
- Nizar Al-Adsani, chairman and managing director, Kuwait Petroleum Corporation
- Vagit Alekperov, president and CEO, LUKOIL
- Ben Bernanke, former chairman of the US Federal Reserve
- Bob Dudley, former chief executive, BP
- Khalid Al-Falih, chief executive, Saudi Aramco
- Bill Gates, co-chair, Gates Foundation
- John Hess, chairman and CEO, Hess Corporation
- Hon. John Hickenlooper, Governor of Colorado
- Walter Isaacson, CEO, Aspen Institute
- Jeffrey Immelt, chairman and CEO, General Electric
- Joe Kaeser, CEO, Siemens
- Hon. John Kasich, Governor of Ohio
- Fred Krupp, president, Environmental Defense Fund
- Ryan Lance, CEO, ConocoPhillips
- Andrew Liveris, chairman and CEO, The Dow Chemical Company
- Bernard Looney, CEO, BP
- Emilio Lozoya, CEO, Pemex
- Helge Lund, president and CEO, Statoil
- Christophe de Margerie, chairman and CEO, Total
- Gina McCarthy, administrator, US EPA
- Ernie Moniz, U.S. Secretary of Energy
- Admiral Mike Mullen, former chairman, US Joint Chiefs
- Ali Naimi, Minister of Petroleum, Saudi Arabia
- Marvin Odum, president, Shell Oil
- Igor Sechin, executive chairman, Rosneft
- Jeffery Smisek, president and CEO, United Airlines
- Rex Tillerson, chairman and CEO, ExxonMobil
- Peter Voser, chief executive officer, Royal Dutch Shell
- John Watson, chairman and CEO, Chevron
- Andrew Wheeler, administrator, US EPA
- Baosen Zheng, managing director and group head, State Grid Corporation of China
- Jiping Zhou, president, China National Petroleum Co.
CERAWeek’s Energy Innovation Pioneers
Each year at CERAWeek, the Energy Innovation Pioneer program recognizes companies and entrepreneurs whose technologies and business plans have the potential to transform the energy industry's future. Companies are selected based on several criteria, including the feasibility of their plan and scalability of their technology, and are presented at an Energy Insight Breakfast session during the conference. In 2019, CERAWeek recognized 8 pioneers. In 2014, CERAWeek recognized 24 pioneers.
- "IHS CERAweek". Archived from the original on 2014-11-29. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- Chapa, Sergio (March 1, 2020). "CERAWeek canceled amid growing coronavirus fears". The Houston Chronicle. Archived from the original on March 5, 2020.
'A major oil and gas industry conference that brings thousands of international visitors to Houston every March has been canceled amid elevated fears related to the growing number of coronavirus cases around the world. / / CERAWeek by IHS Markit organizers canceled the event Sunday with "deep disappointment."'
- "An Energy Conference You Don't Want to Miss". Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- "Picarro Named 2012 Energy Innovation Pioneer by IHS CERA". 2012-05-12. Archived from the original on 29 November 2014. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- "IHS CERAWEEK 2014". 2013-08-13. Retrieved 17 November 2014.