Breakup Notifier was a web application written by product developer and programmer Dan Loewenherz that enabled its registered users to track the relationship status of their Facebook friends. An email notification was sent to the user when one of their Facebook friends changed their relationship status. The app was one of the most viral Facebook app's at the time of its release. It was mentioned in a skit on The Jay Leno Show and news of its popularity was published in Time magazine, The New York Post, CNET, and The Globe and Mail.
Popularity and Facebook controversy
Breakup Notifier gathered 100,000 users in less than 24 hours of its launch and reached a user base of more than 3,000,000 in February 2011. Facebook then blocked the app.
Loewenherz later created an app named Crush Notifier, which differs from the original app in that users can check if they have a mutual crush. Breakup Notifier was later unblocked by Facebook and monetized.
- Tsotsis, Alexia. "Crush-Stalking App Breakup Notifier Amasses Over 3.6M Users, Is Shut Down By Facebook". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-12-07.
- "Facebook ends relationship with Breakup Notifier app". Digital Trends. 2011-02-24. Retrieved 2017-12-07.
- "Facebook App Eliminates All Traces Of Your Ex". Huffington Post. 2013-02-14. Retrieved 2017-12-07.
- "When Facebook Gets Creepy". PCMAG. Retrieved 2017-12-07.
- "Stalking Tech? Apps for Tracking, Keeping Tabs". ABC News. 2011-03-01. Retrieved 2017-12-07.
- Friedman, Megan (February 21, 2011). "Creepy, Yet Efficient: Facebook 'Breakup Notifier' E-Mails You When Friends Break It Off". Time.
- Skarda, Erin (February 27, 2011). "Unrequited Love Lives: New Facebook 'Waiting Room' App Helps You Meddle in Others' Relationships". Time.
- Breakup Notifier alerts you when your love interest's Facebook relationship status changes
- The Facebook Breakup Notifier: Stalk someone you like - CNET
- "Is Facebook, Breakup Notifier relationship on again? - The Globe and Mail".
- "7 apps your creepy stalker could be using right now". Gearburn. 2013-06-03. Retrieved 2017-12-07.
- LeTrent, Sarah. "'It's complicated': Handling social media when your relationship implodes". CNN. Retrieved 2017-12-07.
- Grubb, Ben (2011-03-01). "'Creepy' app spies on your Facebook relationship status". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2017-12-07.
- "Rachelle's Reading List: Tuesday, Feb. 22nd, 2011". Guest of a Guest. Retrieved 2017-12-07.
- Zeitung, Badische. "Diese App sagt dir, wann dein Schwarm Single ist - Freiburg - fudder.de" (in German). Retrieved 2017-12-07.
- "Apple Updates iPod Nano Firmware to 1.1". PCMag India. 2011-02-24. Retrieved 2017-12-07.
- Tsotsis, Alexia. "Crush Notifier, From The Makers Of Breakup Notifier, Finds Mutual Crushes". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-12-07.