|Institution||Tel Aviv University|
New York University
|Field||Game theory, bounded rationality, choice theory, behavioral economics|
|Alma mater||Hebrew University of Jerusalem|
|Awards||Israel Prize (2002)|
Nemmers Prize in Economics (2004)
EMET Prize (2006)
Rothschild Prize (2010)
|Information at IDEAS / RePEc|
Ariel Rubinstein is a professor of economics at the School of Economics at Tel Aviv University and the Department of Economics at New York University. He studied mathematics and economics at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 1972–1979 (B.Sc. Mathematics, Economics and Statistics, 1974; M.A. Economics, 1975; M.Sc Mathematics, 1976; Ph.D. Economics, 1979).
In 1982, he published "Perfect equilibrium in a bargaining model", an important contribution to the theory of bargaining. The model is known also as a Rubinstein bargaining model. It describes two-person bargaining as an extensive game with perfect information in which the players alternate offers. A key assumption is that the players are impatient. The main result gives conditions under which the game has a unique subgame perfect equilibrium and characterizes this equilibrium.
Honours and awards
Rubinstein was elected a member of the Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities (1995), a Foreign Honorary Member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in (1994) and the American Economic Association (1995). In 1985 he was elected a fellow of the Econometric Society, and served as its president in 2004.
- Bargaining and Markets, with Martin J. Osborne, Academic Press 1990
- A Course in Game Theory, with Martin J. Osborne, MIT Press, 1994.
- Modeling Bounded Rationality, MIT Press, 1998.
- Economics and Language, Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- Lecture Notes in Microeconomic Theory: The Economic Agent, Princeton University Press, 2006.
- Economic Fables, Open Book Publishers, 2012.
- AGADOT HAKALKALA (heb.), Kineret, Zmora, Bitan, 2009.
- Rubinstein, Ariel (1982). "Perfect Equilibrium in a Bargaining Model" (PDF). Econometrica. 50 (1): 97–109. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.295.1434. doi:10.2307/1912531. JSTOR 1912531.
- "Prof. Rubinstein Ariel Member Information (Election year 1995)". Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- "Book of Members, 1780–2010: Chapter R" (PDF). American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Archived (PDF) from the original on 13 June 2011. Retrieved 3 June 2011.
- Welcome to the website of The Econometric Society An International Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory in its Relation to Statistics and Mathematics Archived December 10, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- Welcome to the website of The Econometric Society An International Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory in its Relation to Statistics and Mathematics Archived October 6, 2006, at the Wayback Machine
- "Tilburg University - Search results". Tilburg University.
- "Israel Prize Official Site (in Hebrew) – Recipient's C.V."
- "Israel Prize Official Site (in Hebrew) – Judges' Rationale for Grant to Recipient".
- Nemmers Prizes, Awards, Office of the Provost, Northwestern University Archived September 12, 2006, at the Wayback Machine
- "The Erwin Plein Nemmers Prize in Economics". Archived from the original on February 22, 2006.
- "סיעוד". Archived from the original on 2007-03-11.
- "Rothschild Prize".