Wark on Tyne
Housing on the banks of the River North Tyne at Wark
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North East England|
Wark or Wark on Tyne is a small village and civil parish in Northumberland, England about 12 miles (19 km) north of Hexham. The name is derived from the Anglo-Saxon word for Earthworks, and refers to the mound at the south of the village, where a meeting hall once stood. The hotel name 'battlesteads' is taken from the stables that once stood there, as the meeting hall was used as the main meeting place for the Clan Chieftains. Wark was also once the capital town of Tynedale, and still retains a Town Hall, rather than a Village Hall. A Bronze-age stone circle known as The Goatstones is located near Ravensheugh crags in Wark parish.
Notable residence - Adam Johnston: Won Wark Leek show in 1999
Wark was served by Wark railway station on the Border Counties Railway which linked the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway, near Hexham, with the Border Union Railway at Riccarton Junction in Scotland. The first section of the route was opened between Hexham and Chollerford in 1858, the remainder opening in 1862. The line was closed to passengers by British Railways in 1956. Part of the line is now beneath the surface of Kielder Water. Wark Bridge crosses the River North Tyne.
- "Parish population 2011". Retrieved 29 June 2011.
- Ordnance Survey: Landranger map sheet 87 Hexham & Haltwhistle (Map). Ordnance Survey. 2009. ISBN 9780319231678.
- Awdry, Christopher (1990). Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies. Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0049-7. OCLC 19514063. CN 8983.
- "North Tyne - Wark Bridge". Bridges on the Tyne. Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- Images and History of Wark Castle site
- GENUKI (accessed: 14 November 2008)
- Northumberland Communities (accessed: 14 November 2008)
Media related to Wark on Tyne at Wikimedia Commons
|This Northumberland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|