Swaran Ram Darapuri
Swaran Ram Darapuri
|Inspector General of Police Uttar Pradesh|
|Born||16 December 1943 (age 78)|
Jalandhar, Punjab, India
|Political party||All India People's Front|
|Alma mater||Ramgharia College, Phagwara (Punjab)|
|Occupation||Indian Police Service, Social Activist and Politician.|
Darapuri was born on 16 December 1943 at Darapur village in Jalandhar District of Punjab. His father's name is Naranjan Ram. Darapuri is an Ambedkarite and also converted into Buddhism on 14 October 1995. He completed his Bachelor of Sciences from the Ramgharia College, Phagwara (Punjab) in 1964.
He worked as a science lecturer in Punjab, District Organiser of National Savings Organisation (GOI), Assistant in Ministry of Finance (GOI), New Delhi and the Customs Appraiser in Customs Department (GOI) at Bombay.
He is an Indian Police Services officer from 1972 batch of Uttar Pradesh. He became Inspector General of Police in Uttar Pradesh. Darapuri was last posted at Armed Training Centre, Sitapur and retired on 31 December 2003.
He was State Coordinator of Lok Rajniti Manch of U.P and the Member of Coordination Committee for Jan Sangharsh Morcha. He is National Secretary and the Spokesman of All India People's Front (Radical).
Darapuri is Vice President of People's Union for Civil Liberties in U.P, expert advisor for National Commission for Scheduled Castes, RTI Campaign committee member of U.P and the convener of Dalit Mukti Morcha. Also a convener of the World Conference on Religion and Peace (Lucknow branch) and President of Society for Promoting Buddhist Knowledge.
Darapuri was arrested in 2017 for protesting against Yogi Adityanath in Uttar Pradesh. In 2019 he was again arrested in anti CAA protests at Uttar Pradesh and kept in house arrest and released after few days.
- "Why Is S R Darapuri In Jail?". Countercurrents. 2 December 2019. Retrieved 7 June 2020.
- "Our Democracy". Our Democracy. Retrieved 7 June 2020.
- "Retired IPS officer, held over anti-CAA protests, 'works on rights issues'". The Indian Express. 2 December 2019. Retrieved 7 June 2020.
- "S R Darapuri – An upright police officer turned human rights activist, now accused of inciting violence". SabrangIndia. 3 January 2020. Retrieved 7 June 2020.
- "'Encounters lead to acceptance of violence in society'". Deccan Herald. 7 September 2019. Retrieved 7 June 2020.
- "Police condemned for falsely implicating Students' activists". The Siasat Daily. 2 April 2020. Retrieved 7 June 2020.
- Ahmed (29 April 2009). "'Mayawati's base is shrinking' - Web Exclusive News". India Today. Retrieved 11 January 2021.
- Tewari, Ruhi (1 April 2019). "Yogi critic, Mumbai ex-top cop — IAS & IPS officers moving to politics this Lok Sabha polls". ThePrint. Retrieved 7 June 2020.
- "'Muslim Detainees Beaten Up Twice': Ex-IPS Officer on UP Police". The Quint. 2 January 2020. Retrieved 7 June 2020.
- "Criminals and anti-social, eh?". National Herald. Retrieved 7 June 2020.
- "IN UP, retired IPS officer S R Darapuri, others held for staging anti government protests". The Financial Express. 3 July 2017. Retrieved 7 June 2020.
- Mohita Tewari (25 December 2019). "CAA protests in Lucknow: Ex-IPS a cancer patient and champion of human rights | Lucknow News". The Times of India. Retrieved 11 January 2021.