|Owner(s)||New Media Investment Group|
|Founder(s)||William H. Bernard|
|Founded||September 23, 1867|
|Headquarters||1003 S. 17th Street|
Wilmington, North Carolina
Star-News is the daily newspaper for Wilmington, North Carolina, and its surrounding area (known as the Lower Cape Fear). It is North Carolina's oldest newspaper in continuous publication. It was owned by Halifax Media Group until 2015, when Halifax was acquired by New Media Investment Group.
The paper was originally published in September 23, 1867, as the Wilmington Evening Star by former Confederate Major William H. Bernard. Shortly after first publishing the paper, Bernard changed the paper to come out in the morning and changed the paper name to the Wilmington Morning Star. "[I]t was an ardent advocacy of white supremacy-a view never more strongly demonstrated than in its coverage of the Wilmington race riots of 1898."
From 1935 to 1970, the Morning Star was located in the Murchison Building on North Front Street in downtown Wilmington. The newspaper moved into its current location at 1003 17th Street South in 1970.
As a result of damage from Hurricane Florence in September 2018, the Star-News moved into a temporary location in the Harrelson Building, after operating from a Hampton Inn, WWAY, and even homes of staff. The Star-News never stopped publishing during the storm.
- FAS-FAX Report - 9/30/2009 Archived 2013-03-17 at WebCite Audit Bureau of Circulations
- "Marker: D-75". North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program. North Carolina Office of Archives & History. Retrieved 29 February 2012.
- New Media Announces Agreement to Acquire Halifax Media Group for $280.0 Million Archived 2016-03-07 at the Wayback Machine
- Williams, Wiley J. (2006). "Wilmington Star". In Powell, William S. Encyclopedia of North Carolina. University of North Carolina Press. Retrieved October 15, 2018.
- "StarNews newspaper moves operations to downtown Wilmington because of Florence damage". Winston-Salem Journal. Tribune News Service. September 29, 2018.
- Svanum, Ken (April 24, 2003). "New look to page; heritage remains". Star-News. Retrieved January 9, 2015.
- Svanum, Ken (April 24, 2003). "New look to page; heritage remains (text-only version)". StarNewsOnline.com. Retrieved January 9, 2015.
|This article about a North Carolina newspaper is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|