A retirement home – sometimes called an old people's home or old age home, although old people's home can also refer to a nursing home – is a multi-residence housing facility intended for the elderly. Typically, each person or couple in the home has an apartment-style room or suite of rooms. Additional facilities are provided within the building. This can include facilities for meals, gatherings, recreation activities, and some form of health or hospital care. A place in a retirement home can be paid for on a rental basis, like an apartment, or can be bought in perpetuity on the same basis as a condominium.
Retirement homes offer meal-making and some personal care services, according to ARCO. Assisted living facilities, memory care facilities and nursing homes can all be referred to as retirement homes. The cost of living in a retirement home varies from $25,000 to $100,000 per year, although it can exceed this range, according to Senior Living Near Me's senior housing guide.
- "old people's home - Definition and pronunciation | Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com". Oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com. Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- "old people's home - Definition from Longman English Dictionary Online". Ldoceonline.com. Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- Castle, N. G.; Ferguson, J. C. (2010). "What Is Nursing Home Quality and How Is It Measured?". The Gerontologist. 50 (4): 426–442. doi:10.1093/geront/gnq052. PMC 2915498. PMID 20631035.
- "What is a Retirement Home?". Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "What is a Retirement Community? | ARCO". www.arcouk.org. Retrieved 2020-05-07.
- "How To Find Affordable Elderly Housing Near You". Senior Living Near Me. Retrieved 2020-05-11.
- Media related to Retirement homes at Wikimedia Commons