President of the United Nations Economic and Social Council
This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (May 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|President of United Nations Economic and Social Council|
|Seat||United Nations Headquarters|
New York City, United States
|Appointer||United Nations Economic and Social Council|
|Term length||One year|
|Inaugural holder||Arcot Ramasamy Mudaliar|
The President of the United Nations Economic and Social Council is the presiding officer of that body.
The Economic and Social Council elects a new bureau, a president and four vice-presidents, at the first meeting of the new session of the Council, typically in July. These officials are chosen at large from among the representatives of the Council's members for one-year terms. Members of bureau hold office until their successors are elected by the Council at the next session.
According to the rules of procedure of the Council, the election of members to the bureau includes special regard for equitable geographic rotation among the United Nations regional groups. For instance, the presidency of the council rotates between the five regions, and along with it the vice-presidencies.
In the last election, Inga Rhonda King of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines was chosen as the President of the Council. In addition, Omar Hilale of Morocco, Teodoro L. Locsin of the Philippines, Tore Hattrem of Norway and Valentin Rybakov of Belarus were elected as vice-presidents. 
The role of president of the Council involves opening and closing meetings of the body, presiding over the proceedings of the Council, steering the work of the body, maintaining order and ensuring observance of the rules of procedure at all times, and, if need be, calling emergency sessions of the body. The president also usually speaks to the press on behalf of the Council.
List of presidents
|Year elected||Name of President||UN member state||Session(s)|
|1946||Arcot Ramasamy Mudaliar||India||First and Second|
|1947||Arcot Ramasamy Mudaliar||India||Fourth|
|1948||Charles Habib Malik||Lebanon|
|1949||James Thorn||New Zealand|
|1950 - 1951||Hernan Santa Cruz||Chile|
|1952||Syed Amjad Ali||Pakistan|
|1954||Juan I. Cooke||Argentina|
|1957||Mohammad Mir Khan||Pakistan|
|1958||George F. Davidson||Canada|
|1960||C. W. A. Schurmann||Netherlands|
|1961||Foss Shanahan||New Zealand|
|1968||Manuel Perez Guerrero||Venezuela|
|1970||J. B. P. Maramis||Indonesia|
|1973||Sergio Armando Frazao||Brazil|
|1975||Iqbal A. Akhund||Pakistan|
|1976||Simeon Aké||Ivory Coast|
|1978||Donald O. Mills||Jamaica|
|1980||Andreas V. Mavrommatis||Cyprus|
|1981||Paul John Firmino Lusaka||Zambia|
|1983||Sergio Correa da Costa||Brazil|
|1986||Manuel dos Santos||Mozambique|
|1989||Kjeld Vilhelm Mortensen||Denmark|
|1990||Chinmaya Rajaninath Gharekhan||India|
|1994||Richard William Butler||Australia|
|1996||Jean-Marie Kacou Gervais||Côte d'Ivoire|
|1997||Karel Kovanda||Czech Republic|
|2013||Néstor Osorio Londoño||Colombia|
|2015||Oh Joon||Republic of Korea|
|2016||Frederick Musiiwa Makamure Shava||Zimbabwe|
|2017||Marie Chatardová||Czech Republic|
|2018||Inga Rhonda King||Saint Vincent|
- Elected in January
- Elected in June
- United Nations Economic and Social Council Document 5715 Rev.2. Rules of Procedure of the Economic an Social Council E/5715/Rev.2 1992. Retrieved 25 February 2019.
- "Philippines assumes Vice-Presidency of the Economic and Social Council for the Asia Pacific Group". Permanent Mission of the Republic of the Philippines to the United Nations. United Nations. 31 July 2018. Retrieved 25 February 2019.
- "Bureau". United Nations Economic and Social Council. United Nations. n.d. Retrieved 25 February 2019.
- "Representative of Belarus is elected as a Vice-President of the UN Economic and Social Council". Belarusian Diplomatic Service. Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Belarus. 22 October 2019. Retrieved 25 February 2019.
- "Former Presidents". United Nations Economic and Social Council. United Nations. n.d. Retrieved 25 February 2019.
- "Former Presidents, 1946-2004". United Nations Economic and Social Council. United Nations. n.d. Retrieved 25 February 2019.