Musnad Ahmad ibn Hanbal
|Author||Ahmad ibn Hanbal|
|Part of a series on|
Musnad Ahmad ibn Hanbal (Arabic: مسند أحمد بن حنبل) is a collection of hadith compiled by the Islamic scholar Ahmad ibn Hanbal (d. 241 AH/855 AD) to whom the Hanbali fiqh (legislation) is attributed.
It is one of the largest hadith book written in Islamic History containing more than twenty seven thousand (27000) hadiths according to Maktaba Shamila. It is organized into compilations of the hadiths narrated by each Companion (Sahabi), starting with the 'asharah mubashsharah ("the ten who were promised Paradise"). This highlights their status and the efforts they made to preserve the ahadeeth of the Messenger of Allah.
It is said by some that Ahmad ibn Hanbal made a comment in regard to his book which reads as follows: "I have only included a hadith in this book if it had been used as evidence by some of the scholars." Abu al-Faraj Ibn al-Jawzi ironically claimed that the Musnad contains hadiths that are fabricated by interpolation (i.e. the narrator jumbling up information, mixing texts and authoritative chains), which were said to be nine Hadiths by some, or fifteen hadiths by others. However, it is agreed that the hadith that are suspected to be fabricated are not new hadiths that are creations of a dubious narrator's imagination. Muslim scholars regard it as an authentic book of Hadith.
Example of Musnad Hadith
عن أبي جُهَيْمٍ عَنْ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ الْقُرْآنُ يُقْرَأُ عَلَى سَبْعَةِ أَحْرُفٍ فَلَا تُمَارُوا فِي الْقُرْآنِ فَإِنَّ مِرَاءً فِي الْقُرْآنِ كُفْرٌ
Abu Juhaym reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “The Quran is recited in seven ways. Do not argue over the Quran, for arguing over the Quran is an act of unbelief.”
Source: Musnad Aḥmad 17199 Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to Al-Suyuti
The book has been published by many organizations around the world, including:
- Musnad Imam Ahmad Bin Muhammad Bin Hanbal: Published: Noor Foundation USA 
- English Translation Of Musnad Imam Ahmad Bin Hanbal (4 Vols) : Published: Darussalam 
- English Translation Of Musnad Imam Ahmad Bin Hanbal (5 Vols) : Published: Darussalam 
The Internet Archive hosts a copy of Musnad Ahmad Volume 4 in English at http://archive.org/details/musnadahmadvol.4final.
- List of Sunni books
- Sahih Muslim
- Jami al-Tirmidhi
- Sunan Abu Dawood
- Sunan ibn Majah
- Muwatta Malik
- Majma al-Zawa'id
- Brown, Jonathan A.C. (2014). Misquoting Muhammad: The Challenge and Choices of Interpreting the Prophet's Legacy. Oneworld Publications. p. 41. ISBN 978-1780744209.
- "مسند أحمد ت شاكر • الموقع الرسمي للمكتبة الشاملة".
- "Musnad Imam Ahmad Bin Hanbal (3 vol)". www.islamguide.dk. Retrieved Apr 30, 2019.
- Fatawa of Ibn Taimiya, vol 1, page 248.
- Musnad Imam Ahmad Bin Muhammad Bin Hanbal: Codification According to the Subject Heading - Volume 2 (Hardcover). www.booksinc.net. 2004. ISBN 9780963206749. Retrieved Apr 30, 2019.
- "MUSNAD IMAM AHMAD BIN HANBAL VOL.4 (Hadith 4377-6030),9786035003896". Retrieved May 5, 2020.
- English Translation of Musnad Imam Ahmad Bin Hanbal Vol 5 (Hadith 6031-7624),9786035004282. Retrieved May 5, 2020.
- Methodology of Imam Ahmad (Arabic)
|Arabic Wikisource has original text related to this article:|