The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (September 2017)
Dr. Mandakini Amte
Post-graduate Diploma in Anesthesia
|Alma mater||Government Medical College (Nagpur)|
|Years active||1973 - present|
|Known for||Lok Biradari Prakalp|
|Awards||Ramon Magsaysay Award 2008|
Mandakini Amte popularly known as Manda Amte is a medical doctor and social worker from Maharashtra, India. She along with her husband, Prakash Amte were awarded the Magsaysay Award for 'Community Leadership' in 2008 for their philanthropic work in the form of the Lok Biradari Prakalp amongst the Madia Gonds in Gadchiroli district of Maharashtra and the neighbouring states of Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh. She is the daughter-in-law of Baba Amte.
Early life, education and career
Amte was born as Mandakini Deshpande. She had completed her MBBS from Nagpur and later decided to do her post-graduation in Anesthesia in Government Medical College(GMC),Nagpur. Prakash, her future husband, was a surgeon and that's how they met. They worked together in the same operation theatre.
"In electing Prakash Amte and Mandakini Amte to receive the 2008 Ramon Magsaysay Award for Community Leadership, the board of trustees recognizes their enhancing the capacity of the Madia Gonds to adapt positively in today's India, through healing and teaching and other compassionate interventions.
The Principality of Monaco brought out a postage stamp in honour of the life and work of Prakash Mandakini in 1995 - just as they had done for Albert Schweitzer in 1955. This was only the second time that the Kingdom of Monaco brought out a stamp to honour a foreigner for their humanitarian work.
A French couple, Guy and Greet Barthelemy, who had worked with Schweitzer in the early fifties, visited the project in 1992. They were moved to see the similarity of conditions at Hemalkasa and those in Africa where Schweitzer worked. This French couple went back and appealed to Prince Rainier III of Monaco to publish a postal stamp to honour the Amtes, which was done in 1995.
- Pandey, Kirti (1 December 2020). "Family tree of Baba Amte: Sons Prakash and Vikas Amte; who was Sheetal Amte and her role at Anandwan". www.timesnownews.com. Retrieved 5 March 2021.
- Citation Archived 27 August 2008 at the Wayback Machine from the website of Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation
- "My father was against our marriage". dnaindia.com. Diligent Media Corporation Ltd. Retrieved 29 February 2016.
- "Prakash & Mandakini Amte". outlookindia.com. Outlook: The Web Edition. Retrieved 29 February 2016.
- "Event at the Hilt – Meet the Real Heroes: Doctor Prakash Amte and Doctor Manda Amte". chandlersfordtoday.co.uk/. Chandler's Ford Today. Retrieved 4 March 2016.
- "My father was against our marriage". dnaindia.com. Diligent Media Corporation Ltd. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- "Amte, Prakash | CITATION". rmaf.org.ph. © Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Magsaysay award for Amte couple". hindustantimes.com. HT Media Limited. Retrieved 4 March 2016.
- "Dr. Prakash and Dr. Mrs. Mandakini Amte - International Awards - Hamdan Award for Volunteers in Humanitarian Medical Services - 2009-2010". hmaward.org.ae/. Sheikh Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Award for Medical Sciences. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- "VILLAGES SANS FRONTIERES - Hemalkasa - Lok Biradari Prakalp (Fraternité entre les peuples)". vsf64.free.fr/. VILLAGES SANS FRONTIERES c/o LAZE - Quartier Lasbordes 64270 SALIES-DE-BEARN. Archived from the original on 16 November 2013. Retrieved 14 March 2016.