Leland M. Roth
Leland M. Roth is a leading American architectural historian who is the Marion D. Ross Distinguished Professor of Architectural History emeritus in the Department of the History of Art and Architecture in the College of Design at the University of Oregon.
Roth earned his Bachelor of Architecture degree from the University of Illinois in 1966 and his Ph.D. in architectural history from Yale University in 1973. His research has focused on American architecture, primarily in the years 1865 to 1940. He is particularly known for his writing on the architects McKim, Mead and White.
A contributor to The Oregon Encyclopedia, he has written several articles, one of which is on notable Oregon architect John Yeon. He has recently pursued specialized interests in the architecture of Oregon. In February 2012 he delivered a commemorative talk on architectural historian Marion Dean Ross (1913-1991), as part of an exhibit in Knight Library at the University of Oregon, titled, "Marion Dean Ross: The Legacy of a Scholar," which ran from January - April 2012. In that presentation, Roth discusses the wide-reaching impact of Ross both as scholar and professor. In July 2012, he was featured on the Oregon Humanities Center UO Today show.
- Roth, Leland M., A Concise History of American Architecture, Harper & Row, New York, 1979
- Roth, Leland M., McKim, Mead & White, Architects, Harper & Row, New York, 1983
- Roth, Leland M., Understanding Architecture: Its Elements, History, and Meaning, Icon Editions, New York, 1993
- Roth, Leland M., Shingle Styles: Innovation and Tradition in American Architecture, 1874 to 1982, Norfleet Press/Harry N. Abrams, New York, 1999
- Roth, Leland M., American Architecture: A History, Icon Editions/Westview Press, Boulder CO, 2001
- "Leland Martin Roth," Contemporary Authors Online, Gale, 2009.
- arthistory.uoregon.edu Archived 2010-06-27 at the Wayback Machine
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-11-20. Retrieved 2012-11-26.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Marion Dean Ross: The Legacy of a Scholar, UO Libraries, Curated by Edward H. Teague". 2017-06-29. Retrieved 2018-05-28.
- "Dr. Leland Roth: "Marion Dean Ross: A Man Who Left a Hole in the Water"". 2012-02-10. Retrieved 2018-05-28.
- "UO Today #506: Leland Roth". 2012-07-23. Retrieved 2018-05-28.