Koshigaya City Hall
Location of Koshigaya in Saitama Prefecture
|• Total||60.24 km2 (23.26 sq mi)|
|• Density||5,610/km2 (14,500/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+9 (Japan Standard Time)|
|- Tree||Zelkova serrata|
|- Bird||Eurasian collared dove|
|Address||4-2-1 Koshigaya, Koshigaya-shi, Saitama-ken 343-8501|
Koshigaya (越谷市 Koshigaya-shi) is a city located in Saitama Prefecture, Japan. As of 1 February 2016[update], the city had an estimated population of 337,071, and a population density of 5,610 persons per km². Its total area is 60.24 square kilometres (23.26 sq mi). It is famous for producing daruma dolls.
Koshigaya is situated in eastern Saitama Prefecture, about 30 km from downtown Tokyo, along the banks of the Motoarakawa River.
Koshigaya-shuku prospered during the Edo period as a post station on the Nikkō Kaidō and the Ōshū Kaidō highways, and the town served as the temporary residence of the Tokugawa shōgun after the 1657 Great Fire of Meireki which destroyed Edo Castle.
The modern town of Koshigaya (then spelled 越ヶ谷) was created within Minamisaitama District, Saitama with the establishment of the municipalities system on April 1, 1889. It annexed the neighboring villages of Ozawa, Niikata, Sakurai, Obukuro, Ogishima, Dewa, Gamo, Osagami, and Masubayashi on November 3, 1954 and changed the spelling if its name to its present form. Koshigaya annexed neighboring village of Soka on November 3, 1955. Koshigaya was elevated to city status on November 3, 1958. Koshigaya was elevated further to special city status on April 1, 2003 and to core city status on April 1, 2015.
Koshigaya is a major regional commercial center with a diversified industrial base.
- Bunkyo University
- Saitama Prefectural University
- Saitama Toho Junior College
- Koshigaya has 30 elementary schools, one private and 15 public middle schools and nine high schools.
- JR East - Musashino Line
- Tobu Railway - Tobu Isesaki Line
Twin towns and sister cities
- Aritaki Arboretum
- Aeon Laketown shopping mall
- Yasue Funayama, politician
- Sumio Iijima, scientist
- Atsushi Satō, one of the lead vocalists of EXILE
- Tsubasa Masuwaka, fashion model
- Junri Namigata, professional tennis player
- Abi Masatora, sumo wrestler
- Ryuto Yasuoka, basketball player
- "International Exchange". List of Affiliation Partners within Prefectures. Council of Local Authorities for International Relations (CLAIR). Retrieved 21 November 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Koshigaya, Saitama.|
- Official Website (in Japanese)