Dame Henrietta Moore
|Born||18 May 1957|
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
|Part of a series on the|
|Anthropology of kinship|
Dame Henrietta Louise Moore, DBE, FBA, FAcSS (born 18 May 1957) is a British social anthropologist. She is the director of the Institute for Global Prosperity at University College, London (UCL), part of the Bartlett, UCL's Faculty of the Built Environment.
After leaving university Moore spent one year working for the United Nations in Burkina Faso as a Field Director. She then became a Curatorial Assistant at the Cambridge University Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology before joining the University of Kent as a Lecturer in Social Anthropology in 1985. Moore eventually rejoined Cambridge as a lecturer, where she became Director of Studies in Anthropology at Girton College and then a Fellow of Pembroke College in 1989.
After a series of academic appointments in Social Anthropology at the London School of Economics Moore took up the William Wyse Chair of Social Anthropology at Cambridge University. In 2009 Moore was made a Professorial Fellow of Jesus College, Cambridge.
Moore has been critical of proposed restrictions in immigration, as proposed by Leave.EU in the run-up to the 2016 referendum on British membership of the EU. She is the Chair and Co-Founder of SHM Group, a consulting firm specializing in change management.
She was elected a Fellow of the British Academy in 2007. In 1995, Moore and Megan Vaughan were awarded the Herskovits Prize by the African Studies Association for their book Cutting Down Trees: Gender, Nutrition, and Agricultural Change in the Northern Province of Zambia, 1890-1990.
- Moore, Henrietta L. (1986). Space, text and gender: an anthropological study of the Marakwet of Kenya. Cambridge New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521303330.
- Moore, Henrietta L. (1988). Feminism and anthropology. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press. ISBN 9780745601137.
- Moore, Henrietta L.; et al. (1994). The Polity reader in gender studies. Cambridge, UK Malden, Massachusetts: Polity Press. ISBN 9780745612102.
- Moore, Henrietta L.; Vaughan, Megan A. (1994). Cutting down trees: gender, nutrition and change in the Northern Province of Zambia, 1890–1990. New York: Heinemann and London: James Currey. ISBN 9780852556122. (Winner of the 1995 Herskovitz Prize)
- Moore, Henrietta L. (1994). A passion for difference: essays in anthropology and gender. Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Press. ISBN 9780253209511.
- Moore, Henrietta L. (1996). Space, text and gender: an anthropological study of Marakwet of Kenya (2nd ed.). Cambridge New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521303330.
- Moore, Henrietta L. and Todd Sanders (2001). Magical interpretations, material realities: modernity, witchcraft, and the occult in postcolonial Africa. London New York: Routledge. ISBN 9780415241557.
- Moore, Henrietta L.; Mayo, Ed (2001). Building the mutual state: findings from the virtual think tank www[dot]themutualstate[dot]org. London: New Economics Foundation and Mutuo. ISBN 9781899407491.
- Moore, Henrietta L. (2007). The subject of anthropology: gender, symbolism and psychoanalysis. Cambridge, UK Malden, Massachusetts: Polity Press. ISBN 9780745608099.
- Moore, Henrietta L.; Held, David (2008). Cultural politics in a global age: uncertainty, solidarity, and innovation. Oxford: One World Publications. ISBN 9781851685509.
- Moore, Henrietta L.; Sanders, Todd (2014) . Anthropology in theory: issues in epistemology (2nd ed.). Malden, Massachusetts: Wiley-Blackwell. ISBN 9780470673355.
- "XXV (ns) no. 1 including supplement". Durham University Gazette. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- "Moore, Prof. Dame Henrietta (Louise), (born 18 May 1957)". UK Who's Who. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- Moore, Henrietta. "Migration is a part of today's world. We can't just shut the borders, whatever the Leave campaign tells you". The Independent. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- "SHM Group". www.shm-group.net. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- "No. 61450". The London Gazette (Supplement). 30 December 2015. p. N8.
- "MOORE, Professor H L (born 18 May 1957)". British Academy Fellows Archive. Archived from the original on 6 June 2011.
- "Melville J. Herskovits Prize". African Studies Association. 24 January 2017. Retrieved 20 February 2017.
- "Social anthropologist recognised by Queen's University Belfast". University of Cambridge. 24 June 2014. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- Henrietta Moore official website
- "Professor Henrietta Moore – profile". Jesus College. University of Cambridge. Archived from the original on 7 June 2011.
- SHM Foundation website
- Barbican Centre Trust website
- European Research Council website
| William Wyse Professor of Social Anthropology
2008 – 2014