|Look up guest house in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
A guest house (also guesthouse) is a kind of lodging. In some parts of the world (such as for example the Caribbean), guest houses are a type of inexpensive hotel-like lodging. In still others, it is a private home which has been converted for the exclusive use of guest accommodation. The owner usually lives in an entirely separate area within the property and the guest house may serve as a form of lodging business. This type of accommodation presents some major benefits  such as:
- Personalized attention
- Healthy and homemade food
- Modern design
In some areas of the world, guest houses are the only kind of accommodation available for visitors who have no local relatives to stay with. Among the features which distinguish a guest house from a hotel, or inn is the lack of a full-time staff.
Bed and breakfasts and guest houses in England are family owned and the family live on the premises though family members are not normally available during the evening. However most family members work a 10- to 12-hour day from 6am as they may employ part-time service staff. Hotels maintain a staff presence 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, whereas a guest house has a more limited staff presence. Because of limited staff presence, check in at a guest house is often by appointment. An inn also usually has a restaurant attached.
In India, a tremendous growth can be seen in the guest house business especially in Delhi-NCR (national capital region) where progress in IT sector and Commonwealth Games 2010 were two most influential factor. Nowadays guest house accommodation sector has improved itself a lot. Even a home converted guest house is also offering 3 stars equivalent facilities to its guests.
Life in a paying guest house
- Sharing and adjustments
- Acknowledging the small matters
- Exchanging of contact numbers
- Keeping focus on study
- Using of eye band and ear plugs
- Participating in get-together
- Safety check
Generally there are two variations of paying guest house:
- Home converted guest house
- Professionally run guest house with all necessary amenities and staff
In the first version of the guest house you probably have to live with a family where you get shelter and food (bed and breakfast) only and for rest of the jobs like washing of clothes and utensils, cleaning of room or area around your bed is to be done by yourself. In the second version, you get the all necessary amenities which are required to live life comfortably like a fully furnished room, comfortable bed, air-conditioner, TV, hot and cold water supply and also one important aspect, security.
- Fire safety with regular fire drills
- Disaster management
- Updated safety equipments
- Information sign boards for guests and staff
- Government certifications
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Guest houses.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Holiday villas.|
- Top Benefits of Guest Houses (2015). "6 Reasons Why To Stay In a Guest House". Retrieved 2015-04-06.
- "Make Your Hostel Life a Remembering One". bestonrent.com. Retrieved 2015-10-23.
- "Why Safety is So Important in Accommodation Business". bestonrent.com. Retrieved 2015-10-23.