This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Birth name||Jordan Edward Benjamin|
|Associated acts||Mike Shinoda|
Jordan Edward Benjamin, known professionally as Grandson (stylized as "grandson") is a Canadian-American musician. He is best known for his politically charged lyrics and music videos, and for his single "Blood//Water" which broke the Top 40 on multiple Billboard charts. He signed to RCA Records in 2017, and to Fueled by Ramen the following year.
Early life and career
Benjamin was raised in Toronto, Canada, after being born in New Jersey. He attended Northern Secondary School (Toronto). Grandson's musical inspirations include Rage Against the Machine, Bob Marley, Ray Charles, John Lennon and Nirvana. He briefly studied at McGill University, transferring to Concordia University in Montreal before dropping out to pursue a music career in Los Angeles in 2014.
Describing the origin of his stagename, he told Lupinore:
"(My stage name originated from) a couple different things. In 2016, my grandfather passed away. He was a huge influence. He was the one that introduced me to Ray Charles, who's a huge influence of mine. So part of it is paying homage to him. And I wanted a name that felt nostalgic and relatable. We had been experimenting with street names, school names, and nothing really stuck. Then my manager called me one day really excited because he had had a dream the night before. He was side stage and I was performing, and the crowd was chanting ‘grandson’. He called me and was like, 'I got the name.'"
Grandson signed to Fueled by Ramen in March of 2018. His first single on the label, "Blood//Water," charted on several Billboard charts, including the Rock Songs, Alternative Songs, and Mainstream Rock charts, as well as surpassing 35 million plays on Spotify alone. His debut EP, "A Modern Tragedy, Vol. 1" was released on June 15, 2018.
- A Modern Tragedy, Vol. 1 (2018)
- Bills (2016)
- Bury Me Face Down (2016)
- Best Friends (2017)
- War (2017)
- Thoughts and Prayers (2018)
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Blood//Water"||2017||19||20||17||19||A Modern Tragedy, Vol. 1|
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
- "Songwriter/Composer: Benjamin, Jordan Edward". BMI. Retrieved August 13, 2018.
- Twardzik, Tom (January 31, 2018). "New artist GRANDSON is at the front of rock and roll's evolution". Pop Dust. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- Newman, Melinda (April 4, 2018). "Grandson Signs With Fueled By Ramen Following His Powerful Post-Parkland Theme, 'Thoughts & Prayers'". Billboard Magazine. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- "The musician, the movement: grandson". Lupinore. Lupinore. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- BUTZ-WEIDNER, BENJAMIN (March 6, 2017). "MEET GRANDSON: THE MCGILL DROP-OUT MAKING IT IN THE MUSIC BUSINESS, INVOLVED WITH THE RECENT NAKED TRUMP STATUES". McGill University. The Bull & Bear. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- White, Logan. "grandson announces new EP 'modern tragedy vol.1' and releases new song "Blood // Water"". Substream. Retrieved August 13, 2018.
- "Grandson Chart History: Canada Rock". Billboard. Retrieved August 13, 2018.
- "Grandson Chart History: Alternative Songs". Billboard. Retrieved August 13, 2018.
- "Grandson Chart History: Mainstream Rock Songs". Billboard. Retrieved August 13, 2018.
- "Grandson Chart History: Hot Rock Songs". Billboard. Retrieved September 8, 2018.
|This article about a Canadian musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|