A farm stay (or farmstay) is any type of accommodation on a working farm. Some farm stays may be interactive. Some are family-focused, offering children opportunities to feed animals, collect eggs and learn how a farm functions. Others don't allow children and instead offer a peaceful retreat for adults. For the accommodations, guests normally pay rates similar to area bed & breakfasts or vacation rentals, although pricing varies considerably. The term "farm stay" can also describe a work exchange agreement, where the guest works a set number of hours per week in exchange for free or affordable accommodation.
Possible farm stay accommodations include
- Converted barns/outbuildings
- Farmhouse guest rooms
- Platform tents
- Tent camping
Farm stays can be described as agritourism (a farmer opening his/her farm to tourists for any reason, including farm stands and u-pick), ecotourism (Responsible travel to natural areas that conserves the environment and improves the well-being of local people), and geotourism (tourism that sustains or enhances the geographical character of a place—its environment, culture, aesthetics, heritage, and the well-being of its residents).
Farm stays have been a growing trend in Europe since the 1980s, particularly in Italy, where they are called agriturismo.  Farm stays are now growing in popularity in other parts of the world as well, especially Australia, Asia, and North America. Reasons for this increasing popularity include farmers' desire for more diverse and dependable income streams and consumers' interest for and to reconnect with rural heritage and the origin of their food supply. Members or shareholders of a CSA program  or vacationers can use a farm stay to further develop an understanding of the work involved with the supply of their food.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-06-08. Retrieved 2010-02-22.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-02-10. Retrieved 2010-02-22.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "About Geotourism -- National Geographic". 21 January 2017. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "Agritourism - Farm Stays in Europe". Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "Great holiday deals and discounts of Holiday Farm in Italy". Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "Agriturismo in Italy - The Guide to quality Farmhouse in Italy!". Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "The World's Best Farmstays: Agritourism, Country Cottages & Rural Retreats". Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "Farm Stay Camping Australia". Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-12-30. Retrieved 2012-11-08.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Farm Vacations - Farm Stays and Guest Ranches - Farm Stay U.S." Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "Community Supported Agriculture - LocalHarvest". Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- Farm stay travel guide from Wikivoyage