|Edited by||James Briscoe|
|Journal of Embryology and Experimental Morphology|
|Delayed (after 6 months)|
Development is a bi-weekly peer-reviewed scientific journal in the field of developmental biology that covers cellular and molecular mechanisms of animal and plant development. It is published by The Company of Biologists. Development is partnered with Publons, is part of the Review Commons initiative and has two-way integration with bioRxiv.
In 1987, the journal was renamed Development. The journal’s full archive from 1953 is available online. Development is now a hybrid journal and publishes 24 issues a year. Content over 6 months old is free to read.
Scope and content
Topics covered include:
- Stem cells and regeneration
- Nuclear programming
- Evolutionary development
- Systems biology
- Regional specification
- Evolution of the developmental process
- Aetiology of disease
- Plant development
- Reproductive biology
- Musculoskeletal system
The journal operates on a continuous publication model. The final version of record is released online as soon as it is ready.
Abstracting and indexing
Development is abstracted and/or indexed by:
- CAB abstracts
- Cambridge Scientific Abstracts
- Current Content
- ISI Web of Science
the Node is an online community that was launched by Development in 2010. It is a place for developmental biologists to share news and information about the field. Anyone in the community can create an account and contribute.
Journal of Embryology and Experimental Morphology
- 1953–1978: Michael Abercrombie
- 1979–1982: R. J. Cole, R. L. Gardner, R. M. Gaze, P. A. Lawrence
- 1983–1987: R. L. Gardner, R. M. Gaze, P. A. Lawrence, H. R. Woodland
- 1987–2002: Chris Wylie
- 2003–2009: Jim Smith
- 2010–2018: Olivier Pourquie
- Since 2019: James Briscoe 
- "Home | Development". dev.biologists.org. Retrieved 2020-03-03.
- "News from Development | Development". dev.biologists.org. Retrieved 2020-03-03.
- "DBIO: Top 100 Journals in Biology and Medicine". dbiosla.org. Retrieved 2020-03-03.
- "Development: moving on in 2006" (PDF). Development.
- "Development in 2007: new developments and sad goodbyes" (PDF). Development.
- "About Development | Development". dev.biologists.org. Retrieved 2020-03-03.
- "Article types | Development". dev.biologists.org. Retrieved 2020-03-03.
- "Aims and scope | Development". dev.biologists.org. Retrieved 2020-03-03.
- "About the Node | Development". dev.biologists.org. Retrieved 2020-03-03.
- Briscoe, James (2010-02-01). "An interview with Olivier Pourquié". Development. 137 (3): 361–362. doi:10.1242/dev.047191. ISSN 0950-1991. PMID 20081184.
- Bray, Sarah; Storey, Kate; Brown, Katherine (2018-03-15). "A new Editor-in-Chief for Development". Development. 145 (6). doi:10.1242/dev.165266. ISSN 0950-1991. PMID 29588291.
- Brown, Katherine (2018-03-15). "An interview with James Briscoe". Development. 145 (6). doi:10.1242/dev.165274. ISSN 0950-1991. PMID 29588292.