This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Charles Cowles-Voysey (24 June 1889 – 10 April 1981) was an English architect. Charles married Dorothea Denise Cowles in 1912 and chose to add her maiden name to his own: Charles Cowles-Voysey. John Brandon-Jones worked for Cowles-Voysey, became a partner in the business and finally took over the firm.
Cowles-Voysey's father, the Arts and Crafts movement architect and designer C.F.A. Voysey, was one of the first to use concrete as concrete rather than disguised as a traditional building material. Cowles-Voysey was responsible for the design of Kingsley Hall which included a main hall also used for worship, and five rooftop cells for community volunteers.The style of the father passed to the son who was asked to design Children's House and Kingsley Hall. This came after many hours soulful discussions with Muriel Lester about how to bring the very best to the poor of the East End. Indeed, Kingsley Hall was built to bring Heaven to Earth and originally had six small monastic type cells on the top floor where volunteers would stay and dedicate their days to community work. Both buildings use employed a large amount of concrete, which is openly on display.
- Bridgeton Public Halls (1924), Glasgow
- Kingsley Hall and the Children's House (1927), London
- Wildwood Road (1929), Hampstead Garden Suburb, London
- Chance Wood (1929), Sevenoaks, Kent
- Worthing Town Hall (1933), Worthing, West Sussex
- Watford Town Hall (1937-1939), Watford, Hertfordshire
- Cambridge Guildhall, Peas Hill Guildhall (1939), Cambridge
- Town Hall extension (1939), Bromley, Kent
- Magistrates' Court (1939), Bromley, Kent
- Maybridge Estate (1940s), Worthing, West Sussex
- Morley College reconstruction (1958), Waterloo, London
|This article about a United Kingdom architect or firm of architects is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|