A boutique hotel is a small hotel which typically has between 10 and 100 rooms in unique settings with upscale accommodations and individualized unique selling points (USPs). Boutique hotels were a popular style in the 1980s and 1990s.
Boutique hotels began appearing in the 1980s in major cities like London, New York, and San Francisco. The term was coined by Steve Rubell in 1984 when he compared the Morgans Hotel, the first hotel he and Ian Schrager owned, to a boutique.
A trend observed in recent times is for international hotel chains to establish luxury boutique sub-brands to capitalize on the growth of this segment.
Many boutique hotels are furnished in a themed, stylish and/or aspirational manner. The popularity of the boutique concept has prompted some multi-national hotel companies to try to capture a market share. In the United States, New York City remains an important centre for boutique hotels clustered about Manhattan. Some members of the hospitality industry are following the general "no-frill chic" consumer trend, with affordable or budget boutique hotels being created all around the world. Boutique hotels are found in London, New York City, Miami, and Los Angeles. They are also found in resort destinations with exotic amenities such as electronics, spas, yoga and/or painting classes.
- "What Are Boutique Hotels - Written By: Karen Tina Harrison - About.com". Retrieved 2013-11-24.
- Sessa, Andrew (2018-11-21). "The Story Behind the World's Best Hotels—From 1810 to Now". Condé Nast Traveler. Retrieved 2018-08-13.
- Rosner, Cheryl. "What is a boutique hotel?". blog.stayful.com/. Stayful. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- "History of Boutique Hotels". Retrieved 2017-03-08.
- "The Boutique Hotel: Fad or Phenomenon" (PDF). Retrieved 2007-04-24.
- Levenson, Eugenia (2007-11-12). "Road Warrior: Michelin Guide's Jean-Luc Naret". CNN. Retrieved 2008-01-15.
- "No-frills chic hits the hospitality industry". Retrieved 2007-10-11.
- "The Definition of Boutique Hotels - Written By: Lucienne Anhar - HVS International". Retrieved 2014-04-03.