This article provides insufficient context for those unfamiliar with the subject.(March 2019)
Bharat Vatwani is an Indian psychiatrist, based in Mumbai, India, who was awarded Ramon Magsaysay Award in 2018 for leading the rescue of thousands of mentally ill street paupers to treat and reunite them with their families in India.
Dr Vatwani had come across a road side destitute in 1988. He felt bad about him. Dr admitted destitute to his clinic. Then he started to treat roadside destitutes free of charge and reuniting him. He did this work relentlessly till 2005 in his Boriwali clinic.
In 2006 Dr Vatwani shifted his rehabilitation centre to Vengaon near Karjat which was inaugurated by Hon. Prakash Amte. Dr Vatwani has reunited 5500 plus people to their home and has treated total 7000 plus people for psychiatric illness.
His work came into lime light when he was awarded Ramon Magasesey award in 2018.
- "India's Bharat Vatwani, Sonam Wangchuk among Magsaysay award winners - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2 March 2019.
- "Two Indians, Bharat Vatwani and Sonam Wangchuk, Receive Magsaysay Award". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2 March 2019.
- "Indian Heroes: Bharat Vatwani, Sonam Wangchuk Bag Ramon Magsaysay Award!". The Better India. 26 July 2018. Retrieved 2 March 2019.
- Shelar, Jyoti (6 August 2018). "The story of a doctor who reunites lost mentally-ill patients with their families". Thehindu.com. Retrieved 2 March 2019.
- "Who is Bharat Vatwani". Indianexpress.com. 26 July 2018. Retrieved 2 March 2019.