The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Municipality and town
Location of the municipality and town of Baranoa in the Department of Atlántico.
|• Mayor||Lázaro Rafael Escalante Estrada (2016-2019)|
|• Total||127 km2 (49 sq mi)|
|Elevation||118 m (387 ft)|
|• Density||400/km2 (1,000/sq mi)|
|Area code(s)||57 + 5|
|Website||Official website (in Spanish)|
The municipality occupies an area of 127 km2, including rural, urban, suburban and protected land.
Baranoa is irrigated by several creeks including Santa Rosa, Campeche, Big creek and Deep creek.
Baranoa has 55,178 inhabitants (2006 Census). 82.63% of these are concentrated in the urban area and 17.37% in rural areas.
Baranoa was an indigenous settlement located close to Big Creek (Arroyo Grande) when the Spanish conquered it under the command of Don Pedro de Heredia in 1534.
In October 1543, it was commended by the Spanish Crown to Hernando Dávila. Further commendations were given to Inés de Mendoza (1556), Hernando De la Salas (1568) and José De las Salas (1609). Viceroy Sebastian de Eslava ordered a reformation of the town between 1744 and 1745. As a consequence, 39 Spanish families made their home there, creating the Parish of Santa Ana of Baranoa.
On 23 October 1856, the municipality of Baranoa was created, based on the number of inhabitants and development level. The municipality category, as well as its boundaries, was ratified on 16 December 1964.
Economic activities are focused on cattle raising, corn, cassava, cotton and Jocote plum farming. A Plum Festival takes place in northern Colombia. Calcite and iron minerals are mined.
- DANE 2005 Census: Baranoa (in Spanish)
- (in Spanish) Municipality of Baranoa, website