|School Education & Literacy Secretary of India|
24 November 2016 – 30 June 2018
|Coal Secretary of India|
31 October 2014 – 23 November 2016
|Born||1 July 1958|
Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Occupation||Retired IAS officer & Author|
Anil Swarup is an Indian author and retired Indian Administrative Service officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre and 1981 batch. Mr.Swarup in his 38 years of career has served in various capacities and later went on to become the Secretary to the Government of India.
Early life and education
Anil Swarup was born on 01 July 1958 in Allahabad in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. He is a post-graduate in Political Science from the University of Allahabad in 1978, where he was awarded Chancellor's gold medal for being the "best all-round student".
Before joining IAS, he worked as an Indian Police Service officer for one year. Swarup joined IAS in 1981 and is the recipient of Director's gold medal for "best officer trainee" of his batch at the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA).
He has served in various key positions for both the Union Government and the Government of Uttar Pradesh, like as Education Secretary of India, Coal Secretary of India, Additional Secretary in the Cabinet Secretariat of India, Additional Secretary of Labour & Empowerment, Export Commissioner in the Ministry of Commerce & Industry of India and as the District Magistrate of Lakhimpur Kheri during the Babri Masjid-Ram Janmabhoomi agitation under then chief ministership of Kalyan Singh.
As Coal Secretary
He became Secretary in the coal ministry after the coal scam in which the Supreme Court of India cancelled more than 200 blocks allocated since 1993. Swarup conducted coal auctions in a transparent manner, which was a huge success.
Mr Swarup has authored following books
- Ethical Dilemmas of a Civil Servant. Unique Publishers. July 2020. ISBN 978-9389728446.
- Not just a Civil Servant. Unicorn Books. February 2019. ISBN 978-8178064802.
- Vijay Shankar Pandey, whistle blower IAS
- Ashok Khemka, whistle blower IAS
- Sanjiv Chaturvedi, whistle blower IAS
- "By being honest, you are not doing anybody a favour: Anil Swarup".
- "From Coal to Education to Babri Masjid, how Anil Swarup has been firefighting crisis after crisis".
- "Foolish to think Kalyan Singh was behind Babri demolition: Ex-IAS".
- "Book Review: Not Just a Civil Servant – A memoir of an IAS officer".