|20th Indian Ambassador to Saudi Arabia|
12 December 2015 – April 2019
Ram Nath Kovind
|Preceded by||Hamid Ali Rao|
|Succeeded by||Ausaf Sayeed|
|39th Police Commissioner of Mumbai|
8 September 2015 – 31 January 2016
|Preceded by||Rakesh Maria|
|Succeeded by||Dattatray Padsalgikar|
|Born||2 January 1956|
Uttar Pradesh, India
|Awards||President's Police Medal for Distinguished Service. 50th Anniversary Independence Medal.|
|Years of service||1980 – 2016|
|Rank||Director General of Police|
Ahmed Javed (born 2 January 1956) is a retired Indian police officer and civil servant who was the 39th Commissioner of Police, Mumbai, India. He was succeeded by Dattatray Padsalgikar. He is former Indian Ambassador to Saudi Arabia. Javed is the second former Mumbai police commissioner to get a diplomatic posting after J. F. Ribeiro who served as Indian ambassador to Romania between 1989–1993.
He served as Superintendent of Police in Buldhana and Nanded before being posted as Deputy Commissioner of Police, Intelligence, in Mumbai. He then served in various postings, including a stint with the Delhi Police between 1983 and 1985. He returned to Mumbai in the early 2000s, serving as Additional Commissioner of Police of the Central Region and then the South Region, before being promoted to Inspector General of Police, he was posted as Joint Commissioner of Police (Law and Order). He served in this key post from 2002 to 2005.
After being promoted as Additional Director General of Police, Javed was posted with the state reserve police force and with the Maharashtra Police Headquarters as ADG Establishment, and then he took over as Commissioner of Police, Navi Mumbai in 2010. He currently is Ambassador of India in Saudi Arabia.
He was earlier the Director General of Police (Home Guards).
On 12 December 2015 Ahmad Javed was appointed India's Ambassador to Saudi Arabia, six months after last Ambassador Hamid Ali Rao had retired.
Ahmad Javed comes from Lucknow. His father Mr. Qazi Mukhtar is a retired senior IAS officer. Ahmed Javed graduated in Bachelors in Arts from Delhi's St Stephen's College. Javed is married to Shabnam with whom he has two children, Amer and Zaara.His family are still in his home town Tanda Lucknow.
Rakesh Maria’s appointment
Ahmad Javed was surprised when his junior, Rakesh Maria, who is from the 1981 batch, had been appointed the CP instead of him. Many suspected political favouritism and questions were raised on how a junior-level officer had become the commissioner superseding the senior. In Feb 2014, Maria had taken charge as the Mumbai Police commissioner – a prestigious post – superseding his senior, Javed, who was then promoted by the Cong-NCP government as DG, Home Guards, a post that does not have much to offer to an officer. “Maria managed to get the post of Commissioner of Police as he was very close to some NCP leaders who helped him take the posting superseding seniors like IPS officer Vijay Kamble, who was made Thane Commissioner of Police and Ahmad Javed, who became DG, Home guards", said a police officer. Javed and Kamble had both protested at the time and some IPS officers, like Prem Krishna Jain, had even resigned, as they were upset with the government's system of appointing people. Javed could have never thought that he would become the Commissioner as he had already been promoted as Director General of Police and the post of Mumbai Police Commissioner is held by an officer of the rank of Additional DGP, which is a lower post. However the rank for the post for Commissioner was upgraded to that of Director General. After the announcement by the CM, Javed was appointed as Commissioner, which left Maria in confusion by the sudden announcement. The tables turned, with Maria proceeding on leave to protest against the government's decision. However most in the force felt that justice had finally been done and a deserving officer was finally, if not belatedly, appointed. After taking the reins of Commissioner, Javed had a very successful term. He introduced various new policing and citizen outreach schemes including the launch of the extremely popular Mumbai Police Twitter handle.
- "Mumbai top cop Ahmed Javed is new Indian ambassador to Saudi Arabia". 11 December 2015.
- "Ahmed Javed replaces Rakesh Maria as Mumbai police commissioner". The Times of India. 8 September 2015. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Maria shifted, new Mumbai top cop says will build strong Sheena case | india". Hindustan Times. Archived from the original on 9 September 2015. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "New Mumbai police commissioner Ahmad Javed was once pipped by Rakesh Maria". The Indian Express. 9 September 2015. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- Mumbai Mirror (25 February 2014). "Javed Ahmed relents; to take charge as DGP on Monday". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Ahmad Javed: No-nonsense cop who married khaki with khadi | mumbai". Hindustan Times. Archived from the original on 10 September 2015. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- Mumbai Mirror (9 September 2015). "Ahmed Javed, new King of Mumbai". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Denied Mumbai Police chief's post, IPS officer goes on leave - News18". Ibnlive.com. 17 February 2014. Retrieved 1 October 2016.